10 children hospitalised after eating food cooked with rat in India

141

At least 10 children were hospitalized on Tuesday, December 3, after they were fed ‘dal’ which had a dead rat in it during the midday meal in a government school.

The meal, meant for students between Class 6 and 8, had been prepared by an NGO called Jan Kalyan Sanstha Committee which is based in Hapur.

A teacher who consumed the food along with the children has also been hospitalised.

All the students and the teacher were later discharged from the hospital.

According to reports, the dead rat was found at the bottom of the vessel in which the ‘urad dal’ had been cooked.

“By that time, many of the students had already eaten the food and had started vomiting,” said a student.

Talking to reporters after the incident Ram Sagar Tripathi, a local education official, called the shocking incident an example of “carelessness”.

He said, “The Jan Kalyan Sanstha Vikas Committee prepares the food for the mid-day meal scheme. Today, there was a dead rat in the dal. We stopped serving it as soon as it was detected. Nine children had already consumed the dal and were taken to hospital.”

The official said action would be initiated against the NGO concerned.